Gifted and Talented Education
The BISD Gifted & Talented program believes that all students can learn and should be provided with instruction which addresses and meets individual needs. The Gifted and Talented represent a group of students whose learning styles, thinking dimensions and affective needs require instruction and experiences, which go beyond the "regular" curriculum.
It is the goal of the BISD Gifted and Talented Program to meet the affective needs of students, to provide students with "real-life" alternatives which teach, challenge, and expand knowledge, and to develop independent learners who can question, apply and generate information.
Program Target Area
The BISD Gifted and Talented Program is designed to serve students who exhibit characteristics that indicate general intellectual ability or high ability in a specific domain. General intellectual ability is defined as general intelligence, aptitudes, or abilities to reason, perceive, and understand. Students who are gifted in general intellectual ability are likely to exhibit many of the following traits:
- Extensive and detailed memory
- Prompt recall
- Advanced vocabulary
- Inquisitive mind
- Sound judgment
- Rapid acquisition of information
- Broad base of knowledge
- Advanced concept formation
- Analogical thinking or reasoning
- Keen observation
The goal of the BISD Gifted and Talented Program is to provide opportunities to meet the educational, psychological, and social needs of gifted students by helping them develop:
The Reading Corner: Articles that may be of interest will be posted here.
- a deeper understanding of how intellectual potential affects self-development, relationships with others, and responsibilities to society,
- creative thinking abilities by increasing fluency, flexibility, elaboration, and originality
- critical thinking abilities by increasing divergent thinking processes, problem- solving strategies, logical reasoning skills, and organization tools
- higher level thinking skills of synthesis, analysis, and evaluation
- complex research techniques that allow creation of products in areas of intense interest, and
- skills of managing time and resources in order to set and meet goals.
- 10 Ways to Annoy your Gifted Child: http://www.giftedguru.com/top-ten-ways-to-annoy-a-gifted-child/
- Critical Thinking ideas: http://scan-werecriticaltothinking.blogspot.com/2012/05/10-simple-activities-for-hands-and.html
- The Trouble With Bright Girls: http://www.psychologytoday.com/em/54655
- What if your child is in a Flipped Classroom? http://jonbergmann.com/what_parents_should_know_if_their_child_is_in_a_flipped_classroom/
- Beyond Minecraft: Games that inspire building and Exploration: http://blogs.kqed.org/mindshift/2013/11/beyond-minecraft-games-that-inspire-building-and-exploration/